We all know there are so several various coaching techniques, instruction programs, and coaching personalities. Quite a few gymnastics coaches productively get their gymnasts stronger, but they do not necessarily need ample sport instruction to enter into their programs. I have viewed gymnasts reward from the basic toughness routines this sort of as thrust ups, but when it comes time to perform specified capabilities the gymnast's muscle groups are not normally prepared, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the capabilities, or powerful ample in each individual placement needed to Safely total the talent.
Gymnasts truly need a variety of instruction to consist of sport certain instruction coupled basic toughness conditioning in order to far more closely simulate the capabilities in our sport. For example, several straight arms routines this sort of as the front lateral increase, press handstand, or planche drills far more closely simulated gymnastics capabilities than bent arm routines this sort of as the thrust up, bench press, or reverse dips.
Right here is one straight arm training that has assisted several gymnasts improve their upper body, shoulders, and back muscle groups, starting to be stronger in two incredibly vital motions. Because the gymnast normally has to be capable to open and close the shoulder angle through capabilities on uneven bars, I have bundled a incredibly practical training which incorporates both equally up and down movements. This one must support her discover to effectively changeover from one arm motion to the up coming with simplicity. Photograph your gymnast performing a glide kip, solid handstand, apparent hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder movements numerous moments within just this limited period of time of time. As soon as you see the shoulder movements needed to connect these capabilities you will see the motives I experienced for incorporating two routines into one drill far more than a 10 years back. This training actually alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Cast / Kip Drill (Barbell / Toning Bar)
one. Place your gymnast through this training. Give her comprehensive guidelines just before she starts the training.
2. Location Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back between two folded panel mats with her arms earlier mentioned her head. Her head have to stay between the mats, but her hands and wrists must go over and above the mats in order to permit the bar to around touch the floor just after it is lifted more than head for comprehensive range of motion.
three. The folded mats have to be a several inches greater than your gymnast although she is lying between them for basic safety motives. The bar have to be long ample so that each individual close can rest on the centre of one of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats with out touching your gymnast. There must be ample clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out although the bar rests on the mats. Despite the fact that you will be spotting your gymnast, the mats will also support reduce the bar from touching her. If one mat on each individual facet is not higher ample, be sure to use two folded mats on each individual facet. If the bar is brought down as well rapidly or falls, it must land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a incredibly harmless training when the coach and gymnast keep basic safety in brain.
4. As soon as the mats are set up, spot the bar on the mats and make positive it will not drop between the mats or roll off.
5. Starting off Placement: As soon as the mats and bar are in spot, instruct your gymnast to sit between the mats, slide her legs under the bar, and then lie down. She must placement herself so that the bar is earlier mentioned her hips.
six. As soon as positioned, permit your gymnast to chase the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to keep her arms straight, but not to lock them.
seven. Be thorough the bar does not shift to an unsafe starting up placement.
8. Upcoming, instruct her to elevate the bar up toward ceiling and then toward the floor earlier mentioned her head to simulate a solid to handstand motion with her higher human body.
9. Remind your gymnast to continue to maintain the bar strictly and then permit her to elevate the bar off the floor, toward ceiling once more, and then lessen it to the mat earlier mentioned her hips to simulate a kip with her higher human body.
10. Permit your gymnast to continue with numerous repetitions if she is capable. Notify her that it must be a constant motion once she is comfy.
11. Your gymnast will most likely need far more place lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation phase) which requires the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return phase which requires the back (latissimus) muscle groups. Be prepared to place all phases of this training. You can have one coach place each individual part. To place the elevate from the mat, kneel on one of the mats to support your gymnast elevate off the mat. Kneel around her head to place the elevate from the floor. Make positive you can attain the bar, specially when it is earlier mentioned your gymnast's human body.
twelve. Get started with the lightest bar possible, probably even a broomstick to make sure correct basic safety and sort. As soon as accustomed to this training, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a toning bar, but it must normally depend on her toughness and working experience. If you are working with a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel around each individual close to support reduce your gymnast's knuckles from touching the floor.
The second training is far more clear. This one also assists the gymnast with certain gymnastics capabilities simply because it will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Digital Handstand – Planche Drill is a terrific training for human body tightness, control, higher human body toughness, and core toughness. This drill is an appropriate training for gymnasts on so several ranges, like those people anticipated to perform the solid handstand and apparent hip handstand on bars in the around future.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her back to a spotting block or mat stack, spot her hands on the floor, and then spot one foot / ankle on the block. As soon as your gymnast has one foot / ankle on the block, she can then spot her other foot / ankle up on the block.
2. Now your gymnast must be in an elevated thrust up placement with her ft on the block. Your gymnast's legs, hips, and upper body must stay off the floor via this training.
three. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated thrust up placement, instruct her to move her hands closer to the spotting block and her shoulders forward in order to sort a slight planche placement.
4. As soon as your gymnast is in the planche placement with her ft on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her belly button in. You must see the lessen part of your gymnast's back elongate into the appropriate minimal back placement for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
5. Immediately after your gymnast has formed the appropriate form with her lessen human body, instruct her to thrust down on the floor and pull in her upper body concurrently. The part of your gymnast's back between her shoulder blades must increase toward the ceiling. Your gymnast has just executed a protraction / shoulder shrag in the planche thrust up placement. To support educate the shoulder shrag touch the part of your gymnast's back that is between her shoulder blades and check with her to thrust up on your hand to sort the spherical back.
six. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that tight form via the rest of the training.
seven. To commence the training, instruct your gymnast to elevate one of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to keep her other foot / ankle on the block. Your gymnast's human body, with the exception of the foot / ankle continue to supported on the block must have moved as one unit up to the single leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed toward the ceiling must be the one forming the handstand form together with the higher human body.
8. Your gymnast's shoulders, hips, and one ankle must be specifically earlier mentioned her hands although the other leg continues to be supported on the block. Notify your gymnast that her hips and shoulders must stay sq. with the block. Her buttocks must be under, belly in, hip opened, upper body in, and shoulders in a shrug / stretched placement. Remaining sq. and tight is not normally quick for the gymnast.
9. As soon as your gymnast is in the appropriate single leg, or virtual, handstand placement she can begin the return motion by slowly and gradually decreasing her totally free leg back to the block and shifting her shoulders a little bit forward so she returns to the planche thrust up placement. Your gymnast's human body must move as one unit to the starting up placement. Instruct your gymnast to keep her head in line with her backbone, either tucked in nor tilted back.
10. Upcoming, instruct your gymnast to return to the single leg, or virtual, handstand placement by lifting her totally free leg back up earlier mentioned her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She have to also open her armpits back up, and sq. her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast have to convey her shoulders and head into alignment for the appropriate handstand form once more. Instruct your gymnast to glimpse at the floor just earlier mentioned her hands for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
11. As soon as your gymnast understands the motion of the virtual handstand to planche and back to the handstand, check with her to total a several repetitions just before halting if she is capable.
twelve. Notify your gymnast not to planche as well significantly forward till she builds toughness and turns into incredibly comfy so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You have to also notify your gymnast to connect when she is fatigued so that you can permit her to rest. This training places tremendous tension on your gymnast's wrists. You must permit her to rest when she communicates that her wrists are getting drained.
This training, when executed accurately, closely simulates the shoulder movements of the solid handstand and apparent hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a floor bar as long as the floor bar is secure.
The continual alter in shoulder angle leads to a alter in the demand from customers on your gymnast's higher human body muscle groups. Your gymnast must establish toughness in a large range of positions just after performing this drill regularly and continually more than the system of time.
As you can see, these routines are so substantially various from thrust ups simply because of the straight arm instruction which so closely simulates gymnastics capabilities. Your gymnast's overall higher human body will be challenged with this training. If executed regularly and continually this drill must support enormously with overall higher human body toughness in addition to certain gymnastics capabilities.
Despite the fact that the thrust up and bench press are terrific routines, they do not truly simulate the gymnastics capabilities of female gymnasts. Gymnastics capabilities have to be simulated in a harmless way in order to prepare a gymnast's brain and human body to perform gymnastics capabilities safely and securely and effectively.
Karen M. Goeller